Megan has been assisting developers with special district legal matters since 1996. She began work as a paralegal in the public finance group of an international firm based in Houston prior to attending law school. Megan joined McGeady Becher as a law clerk in 1999 and has been practicing special district law since 2001. She became a shareholder of the Firm in 2008.
Of her special district practice, Megan says: “My role goes beyond organizing special districts. Clients hire us not only for our legal experience, but also for our relationships with key people in the industry. I connect our clients to bankers, bond counsel, engineers, water lawyers, management companies, accountants and many others who all work together to serve special districts. We often work on behalf of our clients to seek solutions to statutory or regulatory issues by working with the legislature and agencies to promote responsible development.”
Megan is recognized as an expert in all facets of special district law, and frequently provides presentations on special district matters to municipal staff, in-house counsel, and elected officials on practical issues surrounding special district law and how districts benefit development and re-development needs.
Notable Publications & Presentations
- Co-Presenter on “Special Districts: Financing Public Improvements” to the City of Greeley (June 2014)
- Moderator and Co-Presenter on “Economic Development with Special Districts” at Colorado County Attorneys Association 2014 Summer Seminar (June 2014)
- Co-Presenter on “Economic Development with Special Districts” to Jefferson County (January 2014)
- Considering Alternative Revenue Streams for Public Infrastructure Financing, Colorado Real Estate Journal (February 20-March 5, 2013), co-authored with Angela Neese Rathbun
- Financing Public Infrastructure: Utilizing Special District Options, Colorado Real Estate Journal (January 19-February 1, 2011), co-authored with Mary Jo Dougherty
Get to Know Megan Better…
When she is not practicing law, Megan enjoys spending time with her son and daughter, and also her pets, which were all rescued from various animal shelters. Her favorite pastimes include weekend trips to the mountains, running, reading, traveling, and wine tasting.